Amount: $320 Million
Open Date for Application:
Application Due Date: August 2014 est
Contact FireGrantsHelp NOW to learn more about Grant Writing Services!
Purpose & Intent
- The goal of SAFER is to “improve and restore” fire departments staffing so they may more effectively respond to and mitigate emergencies. Improve ability of the fire departments to assemble a sufficient number of firefighters at a structure fire in compliance with NFPA 1710 and 1720.
- Assist fire departments in reaching 4 person staffing on first-arriving suppression unit for structure fires as listed in OSHA 1910.
- Improve firefighter safety by meeting minimum staffing guidelines.
SAFER funds TWO program areas:
Career and Combination Fire Departments may apply for:
- Hiring of new firefighters
- Rehiring of laid-off firefighters
- Retention of firefighters who may be laid-off in the future and/or filling positions left vacant through attrition that weren’t filled because of economic factors
Eligible Project Examples:
Here are some of the projects career/combination departments can get funding for from this grant:
- Associated benefits (actual payroll expenses)
2. Recruitment and Retention
Combination and Volunteer Fire Departments may apply for:
- Volunteer firefighter recruitment programs
- Retention benefits and programs for volunteer firefighters
Combination Fire Departments may apply for funding from both categories by submitting two separate applications, one for each category.
Eligible Project Examples:
Here are some of the projects volunteer/combination departments can get funding for from this grant:
- Exercise program costs
- Insurance packages such as accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D), disability, health, dental, life, etc
- Reimbursement to the member for attending required basic training, i.e., compensation for lost wages, mileage, lodging, per diem.
- Marketing costs to recruit new volunteer members
- Physicals (may be eligible if the applicant can adequately demonstrate that the provision of the physicals would enhance the applicant’s ability to recruit and/or retain volunteer firefighters) , must meet NFPA 1582
- Explorer, cadet, and/or mentoring programs.
- Staffing needs assessment
- Tuition assistance for higher education (including college tuition) and professional certifications. Note: Coursework or certifications in this category should be above and beyond what the department typically funds for required minimum-staffing firefighter certification
- Length of service awards and other retirement benefits
Match: none required
FEMA application website
Grant Writing Assistance
Prepare to apply to SAFER 2013 with these helpful guides!
2013 SAFER General Get Ready Guide
2013 SAFER Hiring General Get Ready Guide
2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Fire Departments Get Ready Guide
2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Interest Organizations Get Ready Guide
2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Interest Organizations Self Evaluation
2013 SAFER Hiring Self Evaluation
2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Fire Departments Self Evaluation
Organization: U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 1-866-274-0960 (Help Desk)