Application Due Date: TBA
IDNR funds will be distributed to fire fighting agencies as a 50-50 reimbursement type grant with a maximum award of $10,000.00. Fire Departments must have funds available for the entire project cost at the time of application and be able to expend the entire project cost initially and then submit invoices and payment documentation to IDNR for 50% reimbursement of the total costs.
If awarded a grant, no purchases may be incurred prior to the grant agreement being fully approved and executed by both the qualifying fire agency and the IDNR.
- A single fire department serving a rural area or a rural community with a population of 10,000 or less (latest Census).
- Area fire departments (fire districts, townships, etc) may serve an aggregate population of greater than 10,000 as long as the service area of the fire department includes a rural area or a rural community having a population of 10,000 or less. The VFA funding must be used to benefit the rural population.
- A single county or town with a population over 10,000 which is served by two or more fire districts operating entirely within the bounds of the county or town may qualify as long as the service area of a given fire department includes a rural area or a rural community or the population of the fire department’s jurisdiction is 10,000 or less. The VFA funding must be used for the rural area.
- A single community with a population greater than 10,000 and having a single fire department with one or more fire stations may qualify. The fire department must have a service area that includes a rural area or community that does not exceed 10,000 in population. The VFA funding must be used only for the benefit of the rural population. Similarly, a single community with a population greater than 10,000 which also provides fire protection to an adjoining rural community of 10,000 or less population by contract may also be eligible provided the VFA funding is used entirely to support the rural community.
- Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA)
- Protective clothing
- Training and necessary equipment
- Installation of Dry Hydrants to improve water supplies for fire suppression
- Communication equipment
- All-Terrain vehicles, such as ATV
- Used fire truck or other used motorized vehicles
- Skid or slide in units
- Other various equipment
To apply, mail application to the address below. Applications sent by email or fax will NOT be accepted.
Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Office of Resource Conservation- Division of Forest Resources
Volunteer Fire Assistance Grants
One Natural Resources Way
Springfield, IL 62702-1271
Organization: Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Contact Name: Tom Wilson
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 618-444-0572