FEMA changes fire grants security
FEMA's updated security system is causing access problems for some; here's how to navigate it
If you have had trouble trying to access your FEMA account recently there is a legitimate reason for the problem. FEMA has updated the security system for all grant accounts.
Here's what is happening. You will still provide your user name and password when you sign in. Then you will be directed to the page that says firefighters grants as in the past.
However, when you select the blue firefighter grants icon, you will now be taken to a page entitled Rules for Behavior of AFG Grantees. The page spells out the new rules for safeguarding your FEMA account password.
After you have read the statement you will be required to check a box verifying that you have read the document. Next you will be required to provide your name and the password for the account.
Those two items must be completed exactly as they are for your grant. If you provide different information you will not be able to access the account.
To help you prepare for this new step in the AFG process, below a copy of the new document exactly as you will encounter it when you go to sign into your account. Good luck with this new step in the process.
Rules of Behavior for AFG Grantees
The following rules of behavior apply to all AFG Grantees who use DHS-FEMA AFG system. These rules of behavior are consistent with IT security policy and procedures given in DHS Management Directive 140-1, "Information Technology Systems Security," DHS Sensitive Systems Policy Directive 4300A, and the DHS 4300A Sensitive Systems Handbook.
- I will not attempt to access data or systems I am not authorized to access.
Passwords and Other Access Control Measures:
- I will not share passwords. I will protect passwords at the highest level of data it secures. I will not provide my password to anyone, including system administrators.
- To prevent others from obtaining my password via "shoulder surfing," I will shield my keyboard from view as I enter my password.
- I will promptly change a password whenever its compromise is known or suspected to have occurred.
- I will not attempt to bypass access control measures.
- I will choose passwords that are at least eight characters in length including upper and lower case letters, numerals, and special characters.
- I understand that failure to sign this acknowledgement will result in denial of access to the AFG System.
- I understand that I am responsible for all actions taken under my account.
AFG Rules of Behavior Statement of Acknowledgement:
I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and will comply with the AFG Rules of Behavior. I Understand that failure to comply with the Rules of Behavior could results in verbal or written warning or removal of system access.
By checking the box below and providing your password, you are providing your digital signature.
* I am hereby providing my signature for this application as of 16-Aug-2016.