Fire Grants Tips
5 Mistakes That Will Get Your Grant Rejected
5 Mistakes That Will Get Your Grant Rejected full tip »
Preparation is the key to grants success
When it comes to successfully securing grants funding, preparation is the key. Long before... full tip »
Fire Grants Poll
Now that the AFG application deadline has passed for the year, was your department able to successfully apply?
Fire Grants News and Articles
Date last updated: Tuesday, April 27, 17:30 PST
with Sarah Wilson
Pre-AFG application submission planning
By Sarah Wilson
As you get ready to submit your application for Vehicles, Operations & Safety, and Regional Projects, there are several items you can prepare ahead of time to ensure your department's success.
The AFG Grant Application Process can be intimidating, but our FireGrantsHelp team hopes to give you and your department not only encouragement, but also the proper guidance and resources to keep the Grant Application Process positive and — most importantly — rewarding.
5 things you need to do before you submit your application
1. Read the entire Solicitation: Download the available PDF for reference.
2. Register with the Online Application System: Applications under the FY 2010 AFG will be accessible at https://portal.fema.gov/famsVuWeb/home. Please note that the application can be saved and retrieved as many times as needed to complete it, up to the application deadline or the submittal of the application.
3. NIMS Compliance: Each active member of your department is strongly encouraged to take or have taken the NIMS 700 basic course by May 28. The course, "National Incident Management System, An Introduction — IS 700" is offered free of charge online through the Emergency Management Institute at http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/is/is700a.asp.
4. DUNS: The Duns Universal Numbering System allows the government to track where federal money is being distributed and how it's being utilized. It can take 24 to 48 hours to get a DUNS number. If you need one, call 866-705-5711 or apply online at http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform.
5. Take the Online Tutorial: This not only takes you through program guidance, but it also goes over the entire application for 2009, step by step http://www.firegrantsupport.com/content/html/program/GrantsTutorial.aspx.
Sarah is responsible for the day to day management of the Grants programs on PoliceGrantsHelp, FireGrantsHelp, EMSGrantsHelp and GovGrantsHelp She has been working with non-profits professionally and personally for over 10 years. Through her leadership the grant assistance program has helped over 20,000 public safety agencies with grant assistance resulting in $50 million in funding.
Prior to managing the Grants program, Miss Wilson was the Director of Operations for the Praetorian Group and held various marketing and organizational management positions within financial services. Sarah earned her bachelor's degree from the University of California at Davis. A west coaster her entire life, Sarah was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, raised in Southern California and currently calls San Francisco home.
Contact Sarah Wilson